Does the DOL Let Me Choose My OWCP Treating Doctor

Yes, the Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs (OWCP) allows you to choose your treating doctor. This is a right that is protected by the Federal Employees’ Compensation Act (FECA).

To choose your treating DOL doctor, you must first file a claim with OWCP. Once your claim is accepted, you will receive a Form CA-16, which is an authorization for medical care. You can use this form to authorize any DOL doctor of your choice to treat your work-related injury or illness.

OWCP may deny your request to choose a particular doctor if the doctor is not qualified to treat your condition or if the doctor is on OWCP’s list of excluded providers. However, OWCP must provide you with a written explanation of why your request was denied.

If you are not satisfied with OWCP’s decision, you can file an appeal with the Employees’ Compensation Appeals Board (ECAB).

Here are some tips for choosing a treating doctor under OWCP:

  • Ask your friends, family, or co-workers for recommendations.
  • Look for a doctor who has experience treating work-related injuries or illnesses.
  • Make sure the doctor is qualified to treat your specific condition.
  • Schedule a consultation with the doctor to see if you feel comfortable with them.

Once you have chosen an OWCP treating doctor, be sure to keep all of your medical records and bills. This will help you to get reimbursed for your medical expenses through OWCP.

If you have any questions about your right to choose your treating doctor under OWCP, you should contact an attorney or OWCP representative.